Sunday 21 October 2012

JEWEL ORCHIDS of LUDISIA

Two new additions to my Orchid collection that popped up quite unexpected in the unlikeliest of places.

I did have a Jewel Orchid of the Ludisia family amongst my first Orchids but let it dry out too much and it eventually died, not realising the need to be moist, NOT SOGGY, all the time.

They are the Ludisia discolor species of Jewel Orchids and as you can see have dead impressive foliar colour and patterns. One is called Red Velvet and the other Jade Velvet.

I actually spotted these in Lidl's store and they were up for silly cheap prices. According to the large plastic label there were ten or twelve varieties but half were gone and I grabbed these two at £3.49 each.

The following day I went to my LOCAL Lidls to look for the others but when I reached the store all I could find was a single leaf or a Red Velvet variety on an empty plant tray?! There has been one with a broad white central stripe and I was hoping to find that one, still a couple more stores to cycle to in the coming days.

If you find them they are in Coconut Fibre and you should use something compact and even houseplant compost would be fine. They have a low light requirement, despite where I placed them, and have shallow roots so use shallow pots to plant them in. You can also fill the pots with a mixture of Sphagnum Moss or just cover the pot in it as I intend to do.

All the Jewel Orchid families like high humidity but with Ludisia you can get away with this, they would thrive in a glass terrarium. Remember if you find and buy Jewel Orchids of the other families of Macodes and Anectochilus that you WILL have to provide a high humidity level and that a glass terrarium or large tray with water in is an absolute MUST!

They creep sideways and not upwards so make a good plant if you want an Orchid that spreads ad will eventually grow over the side of its pot in an almost hanging plant fashion!

Flowers are white in this group but I have seen ones that are yellow in other families.










No comments:

Post a Comment