Saturday 6 October 2012

My Phalaenopsis species seedlings

OK my seedlings of Phalaenopsis are made up of...

Phalaenopsis violacea

Phalaenopsis sumatrana

Phalenopsis zebrina

Phalaenopsis hieroglyphica

Phalaenopsis bellina

Phalaenopsis parishii (miniature)

Oddly when they turned up I had my doubts about the Phalaenopsis parishii but since these photos were taken all but the Phalaenopsis bellina have produced leaves and roots?! Typical as bellina ins my favourite out of the group ... JUST!

Now when you see these guys in flower, well the first FOUR, you would wonder why people buy the hybrids you see in the supermarkets?!

Also of note about hybrids, which are supposed to be easier to keep than species, they are NOT as easy as you think and this is because the parenting may require very different environments, heat, humidity and other things.

At least with species as long as I know where they originate from and WHAT altitude I can guess or find out if needs be EXACTLY what requirements they have!






 
 
 
RIGHT BELOW THIS SENTENCE I WILL ADD PHOTOS WHEN I HAVE OWNED THEM 6 MONTHS TO SHOW GROWTH ON EACH SEEDLING

No comments:

Post a Comment