Sunday 11 January 2015

MY FIRST EVER CYMBIDIUM BUDS

OK this is one I forgot to link up on here!

On Boxng Day evening I noticed some large buds among my Orchids than confused me because they looked both really large and very alien to me! I had never seen these buds before!

As I followed the spike down to its base I realised it came from one of my Cymbidiums?!

Oddly there was another pot with a curiously bulblous growth on it I thought may turn out to be a collection of buds and it seemed to be coming along very slowly.

A couple of days later I then realised I was not paying close enough attention because on the far said of the poot from where I thought buds may emerge another lot DID emerge, so yes may well be two spikes on a second Cymbidium flowering?!

Now I have no looked through them all buit just in case people were not paying attention, errr or I forgot to mention it in a post on here or my YouTube account and you are now wondering what I did to get them to flower?

Well someone noticed in December that my Cymbidiums were outside still! IN fact I told everyone that I was fed up with them not flowering or look tatty that I have a theory I am putting to the test and that they can think of it as a ' Kill of Flower Cure'. The theory was based on this common belief that the flowering is triggered by large changes in day and night temperatures being ... well WRONG! Lol!

They normally came back indoors in October or even early November but this year they was out until just a few days before Christmas day itself and i case you do not live in the UK, this included several nights that included a hard frost.

Yes I said a HARD FROST!

Umm I did say 'Kill of Flower Cure'?

Yes well my understanding of animals led me to the fact that the commonly held belief about Cymbidiums could be wrong and as everyone mostly just re-writes what everyone else states about Orchids and sticks to 'the rules' the truth never gets discovered.

I will give you a clue that it gets damn cold in the Himalayas and I also have a Vanda coerulea that I also know can take cold and have seen them covered in snow!

So is a film I made of the buds ...


No comments:

Post a Comment