Saturday 22 June 2013

DENDROBUM VICTORIAE-REGINAE WITH SOME SURPRISES IN STORE

Some pictures of my Dendrobium vuctoriae-reginae which now look to be showing signs of many more flower buds that the previous two?!

Remember also that each of these can have between one and 4, 5, or 6 flowers and the most I had previous was two from one?!

First fllowering was one flower and second flowering was three flowers from two sources. I look to have 4 or 5 dark patches just from one cane and another cane looks to have at least one and another new growth at the top, where it was previously cut to produce more plants, growing upwards in line with the cane?!

This could be another flower bud but I do not think it is. Had I had longer experience with this beautiful species of Orchid I would probably know for sure but due to its diminutive size I am going with another cane or to be precise a KEIKI!

Now a keiki on this would be cool! I also want to order another one of these at some point and likely another Vanda coerulea.


In both these pictures you will see an area slightly above the second node which should be flowers buds. But better seen in the photo below is the tiny growth coming from the TOP of the cane which I believe to be a keiki or a whole new plant growth. Once big enough and has around two to four leaves this will produce roots around its base and once there are at least three of these of at least an inch long I can remove this plant to another pot, therefore starting a second separate plant?!

COOLIOS!!

Arrows point to the areas of dark patched where buds normally appear from. Only in ones or twos previously but this time around could be very different. 


Once these two new canes have gone beyond the shortest of the shortest of the previous canes this will become quite a specimen indeed. After that the flowers it will produce should equal or exceed a majority of those you see in pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment